Re: ALSA - Multiple Sources...?

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 03:03:33AM -0500, hobie@rumormillnews.com wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 05:55:24PM -0500, hobie@rumormillnews.com wrote:
> >> For years, ALSA has allowed me to have two apps open at one time - for
> >> example, a YouTube video could be playing in my browser while vlc was
> >> also
> >> open, paused on playback of a 3-hour mp3.
> >>
> >> That's changed with a recent Debian update.  Now, if a YouTube video is
> >> playing and I try to start vlc, I get an error message:
> >>
> >> The audio device "dmix:CARD=CK804,DEV=0" could not be used:
> >> Device or resource busy.
> >>
> >> What changed with that recent update?  I have no idea.  After lots of
> >> Internet searching, I put this into an .asoundrc file:
> >>
> >> -
> >>
> >> pcm.!default {
> >> type plug
> >> slave.pcm "dmixer"
> >> }
> >>
> >> pcm.dmixer {
> >> type dmix
> >> ipc_key 1024
> >> slave {
> >> pcm "hw:0,0"
> >> period_time 0
> >> period_size 1024
> >> buffer_size 4096
> >> rate 44100
> >> }
> >> bindings {
> >> 0 0
> >> 1 1
> >> }
> >> }
> >>
> >> ctl.dmixer {
> >> type hw
> >> card 0
> >>
> >> -
> >>
> >> That made no meaningful change to the situation that I can see.  How can
> >> bring back the original ALSA behavior that served me so well for years?
> >
> > Do you know if pulseaudio is installed?
> >
> > dpkg -l | grep pulseaudio
> >

> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> --hobie
> >
> > --
> > Joel Roth
>
> Hi, Joel - Thanks. :)  Synaptic says "no" but running the dpkg -l command
> indicates pulseaudio 2.0.3 is present. (!)  It isn't, but there's a fair
> number of residual files around from some earlier install, including
> things like the gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio plugin and PulseAudio client
> libraries.  I don't _think_ there's anything there that would cause ALSA
> to block...?

AIUI, that if pulseaudio is running, your programs are
not getting direct access to ALSA. There is an additional
layer.

My expertise doesn't extend to pulse audio. I recall it adds
some convenience, like being able to provide a separate
volume control for each app, which can help in a GUI
environment. Nothing I need.

ALSA should default to mixing. You shouldn't need any
special asoundrc to get that.

I would be surprised if aptitude and dpkg reported
different status for the same package!

cheers,

Joel