Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On Sun 23 Nov 2014 at 14:15:17 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 11/23/2014 2:09 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > It would be nice if you regarded the word "functionally" as an essential
> > qualification of "equivalent" or "identical" and not dismiss it.
>
> What would be nice is if you (and others) would stop claiming that
> 'installing systemd, then installing sysvinit-core, then uninstalling
> systemd', is *the same* as performing a clean install with sysvinit as
> the init system.

I thought you would disregard "functionally" as being a dirty word. :)

You have snipped the sentence where I explained what "the same" meant to
me. Then you claim I said something different. That's a bit naughty.

> I honestly don't care if they are functionally equivalent or not, as it
> is beside the point.

Your point is that arriving at a particular objective can be done in two
(or more) ways. Rather obvious, IMO. Discussing the merits of the routes
is besides the point? You could get a lot of mileage out of the netcat
example.