Re: Modular-debian: a list for discussing init-system alternatives

On Wed, 11/19/14, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:

 Subject: Modular-debian: a list for discussing init-system alternatives
 To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
 Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 4:00 PM

 Dear List,

First I'd like to thank all who contribute to debian-user,
and make it an invaluable resource for the Debian community.
Despite others disagreements, I've seen those who post to
the list have in common a generosity and enthusiasm to solve
the issues related to administering Debian Linux.

This is an extraordinary supplemental announcement that a
separate list is available[1] to discuss the issues related
to working with various init systems on Debian.

Considering that it could contribute to conserving the
resources of debian-user, we propose to announce it here
every two months over the next year.

Here is the statement of purpose:

    Debian has recently introduced systemd as default init
    system, replacing the long-serviceable sysvinit system. As
    dependencies on systemd diffuse through the Debian package
    ecosystem, users will tend to be forced to use it. This list
    is to discuss ways to maintain a more modular Debian
    ecosystem, and to avoid snowballing dependencies on a single
    init system.

Those who are frustrated with Debian and considering the
merits of the init systems, package management and admin
environment of other OSs are also invited to bring their
discussions to modular-debian, rather than burdening
debian-user.

With kind regards

Joel Roth, list administrator

1. http://www.freelists.org/list/modular-debian

I am on that list but have not seen much of anything useful as yet. Steve Litt thumps his chest and writes interminably long treatises. There is much talk of other options - BSDs etc. But I'm not seeing that much effort into actually trying to fix Debian. It's been a disappointment to me (as has debianfork). Refracta is quietly working on Jessie and to date getting the job done as is dzz and his Exe GNU/Linux offering. It's anybody's guess what the future will hold. I'm watching from the sidelines at present.

golinux