Jessie, VLC, Radeon and HW Decoding

Hello Debian users

I just upgraded to Debian 8 Jessie (testing) and experience strange
behaviour with hardware accelerated video decoding.

When starting VLC I get the following error message:
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_radeonsi.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
However, GPU based video acceleration seems to work as video streams
that used to cause extreme CPU load in Debian 7 now run smoothly using
almost no CPU time.

To fix this error message I installed the package mesa-vdpau-drivers
:amd64 (10.3.2-1) which is supposed to provide the missing driver file.
This seems to be a bad idea because now the VLC video output stays black
but instead I get a huge amount of identical error messages:
[00007fa1e4050518] vdpau_display vout display error: presentation queue
display failure: An invalid handle value was provided. Either the handle
does not exist at all, or refers to an object of an incorrect type.

I am using a Radeon HD 7750 with the open source radeon driver:

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750 / R7 250E]

$ glxinfo | grep vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org

I am running Debian 8 Jessie (testing) AMD64. The system is up to date
(ran dist-upgrade before writing this message). I have 3 displays
attached to the Radeon graphics card and configured as follow:
$ xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --auto --pos 0x0 --output HDMI-0 --auto
--pos 1920x0 --output DVI-0 --auto --pos 3840x0

Does someone with similar hardware experience the same symptoms?
Is this intended behaviour (possibly due to a hardware bug or driver
incompatibility)?
Or is this a bug in the mesa-vdpau-drivers which should be reported?

thanks!
lukn555