Re: running two CPU's in parallel with e.g. Beowulf in the same box.....

On 11/18/2014 10:29 AM, Michael Fothergill wrote:
Dear Folks,

Out of interest, if I installed two Kaveri motherboads side by side in the same box (if there would be enough room e.g. in a HAF-x box, could I use something like Beowulf to run them in tandem?

Could I not set it up so that I could run one board most of the time and only switch on the  power (and Beowulf) when I wanted to do so?

How well would the two APU's work together?

Regards

Michael Fothergill
Tempus fugit , sed Latini etiam sugit ....

You'll run into issues with power. Unless you're going to stuff 2 power supplies in the case, you have to buy or create splitters for the main power connector and the CPU power connector.

You won't be able to have one on and the other off, at least not completely, because you're powering them with a single power supply. Then you've still got the issue of the case not really supporting two motherboards.

You're probably better off getting two small cases and just having two separate machines. Then, you can have one power off the other and turn it back on with wake-on-lan as necessary.