Re: Strange problem with samba share, maybe dns related

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:15:25 +0100
Cyril Alberts <calberts@afu.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> today I realized a strange bug (maybe there is a reason for it but I
> dont know):
>
> All our employees have a directory/folder at our (wheezy-lts) server,
> which is for interchange. Everybody gets a folder with his name where
> anybody can put things in. It is connected to Windows Clients by the
> letter "Z:\". I generated a huge sum of pdfs which I want to share at
> the server. As I looked for them from a windows-client, I could hardly
> see anything in this folder despite I know that there are many folders
> with pdfs in its subdirectories. They are all recursive chmodded 777 and
> owner is me as samba user (me:me). Now there are people able to see,
> browse and use this documents, but not me as a windows user.
> The strangest thing: If I take the IP instead of the NAME of the server
> - it works!
>
> How is it possible, that a folder called via name is empty and via ip it
> is not?
>
> Z:\pdf        -> empty folder
>
> \\SERVER\fileserver\Mitarbeiter\me\pdf\    -> empty folder
>
> \\192.168.178.123\\fileserver\Mitarbeiter\me\pdf\   -> 2308 Elements
>
> ls -l gives drwxrwxrwx per subfolder and owner is me:me
>

> Is this a DNS-based problem or whats going on here?
>
> I cant explain it, please help!

Hello Cyril

These options in smb.conf could make your problems:

dns proxy = no
name resolv order =

Kind regards

--
http://markorandjelovic.hopto.org

One should not be afraid of humans.
Well, I am not afraid of humans, but of what is inhuman in them.
    Ivo Andric, "Signs near the travel-road"