Re: engineering management practices and systemd (Re: Installing an Alternative Init?)

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Sb, 15 nov 14, 11:37:14, Miles Fidelman wrote:
For some (many?) of us, systemd represents no gain, and significant
operational impact (time required to deal with changes).
Have you considered, just for a fraction of a second, that a migration
to systemd, however painful it may prove, could in fact make your setup
much more reliable and understandable?

Let me also turn the question back at you:

Have you considered, just for a fraction of a second, that a migration
to systemd, could, in fact, make some systems LESS reliable and understandable?

But in answer to your question:

Sure.

For a long time, I just assumed that Jessie would be an improvement on Wheezy (otherwise, why release a new version), and like previous releases, it would be largely backwards compatible, have some bugs resolved, some security holes tightened, and offer some new features that might or might not be of interest. To the extent that I thought about systemd at all, it was to the same degree as I think of any other core system service - it's there, it works, nothing to see here.

Then, I became aware of how many basic system services were being incorporated into the systemd collection of stuff, and how many other things it touched (like, for example, PAM - which I use extensively), and logging, and so on.

And then I started reading the (conflicting) documentation, such as there is, describing all the things I'd have to test, change, watch out for when it came to rebuilding our servers on top of Jessie. Followed by reading about the design, philosophy, approach, and agenda of its developers - in their own words, in their own emails, and on their own blogs. And then, I started seeing the reactions of the developers and apologists to legitimate criticisms and concerns.

I've sat through an awful lot of design reviews for software and system projects, on both sides of the table, and personally, I would have killed this thing early in its life. Joel Rees has this exactly right, this has all the signs of a death march project, not just for Debian but for large chunks of the Linux ecosystem.

Miles Fidelman