Re: Unable to start kvm virtual machines after re-install of "testing"

Hi

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:31:30AM +0200, Jarle Aase wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a fresh reinstall of Debian "testing" today, I am unable to start
> my virtual machines. I lost the configuration during the reinstall, but
> have the disk images. I'm not sure if it is a bug or something wrong on
> my machine. The images worked on Debian "testing" after an upgrade two
> days ago).
>

> Trying to import any of the VM's with "virt-manager", I get the the
> error below.
>
> Please advice it I should file a bug-report or steps to resolve the problem.
>

> >From "Virtual Machine Manager":
> Unable to complete install: 'internal error: Cannot find suitable CPU
> model for given data'

Strange - does your VM require any special CPU settings? If so, they
should be visible in the XML for the VM...

If your VM is linux, then I see little reason for the VM to require
certain CPU features - just going with the defaults would normally
suffice, as Linux runs happily on the hypervisor host already...

What is the relevant part of the output of "virsh dump" for the VM in
question ?

> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 42
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
> stepping        : 7
> microcode       : 0x28
> cpu MHz         : 809.789
> cache size      : 6144 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 8
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 4
> apicid          : 0
> initial apicid  : 0
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 13
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
> syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl xtopology
> nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx
> est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt
> tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts
> dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
> bogomips        : 4385.36
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:

Not the greatest CPU for virtualisation, but I see no reason it should
not work...

I wonder: It sounds like the contents of /proc/cpuinfo changed between
the two kernel versions... Is the contents the same if you boot the
old kernel?  The differences could be instructive...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen