Possible comprommission, what to do ?

	I just got a call form police, that they have arrested a
pirate who "tried" to connect to one of my (debian) servers. They tell
me he is gifted, but since the policewoman I had one phone mixes
server, web site and email address, it may not be completely accurate.

However, I'd prefer be sure my server was not compromised, and at the
lower possibe cost (in time and work). Is there a way to check the
packages/installed files from outside sources (I may boot a fresh live
system in order to have clean utilities), or even provoke a reinstall
with a new download of the whole system ?

Thank you.