Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Dne, 12. 11. 2014 16:22:00 je Martin Read napisal(a):
On 12/11/14 14:20, Klistvud wrote:
As a side note: once systemd is put in place, such problem-less and
swift migration between desktop environments is just one of the many
"Good Things Linux" going down the drain...

Eh? I'm running XFCE *just fine* on a jessie box with systemd as init, and if I wanted to switch to a different DE, all I'd need to do is install it and tell my display manager to launch that flavour of session.

Yes, you can have XFCE, but it will either pull in at least some of the systemd cruft, or be severely crippled in its various subsystems (Network Manager for one). What you lose is the cherry-picking approach that was once possible. What you get in exchange, is the "either you're with us, or against us" mantra. IMHO, this is a step backward, not forward, for Linux and its freedom of choice.

Using systemd as your init daemon does not force you to use GNOME; it doesn't even force you to use a "desktop environment" when you use X.

I agree. However, what I had in mind, were "hidden" entanglements, dependent functionalities we will lose as subsystems progressively migrate to systemd. Migrating from Gnome3 to LXDE only cost me one major feature: I no longer have fast user switching, because AFAIK there is only one daemon in the whole of the vast Linux arena providing that: the gdmflexiserver which comes with Gnome/GDM. But I can live with that, as having a lighter, faster desktop environment is a far more important priority to me than having fast user switching. As various subsystems progressively migrate into systemd, however, we will either be forced to use systemd, or gradually lose important desktop functionalities which have been making our lives so much easier, such as autodetection of hot-swapped disks (USB drives, cameras, phones), network autoconfiguration (the infamous Network-Mangler), udev, on-the-fly bluetooth operation, and probably more. Migration between alternative desktop environemnts will, simply put, cease to be just "switching between drop-in replacements", as no replacements will be really "drop-in" anymore. In the long run, this may even make Debian's update-alternatives partly obsolete. Which would be a pity IMHO.

--
Kinda regards,
my beast washes

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix Oozer #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.