Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Le mercredi, 12 novembre 2014, 10.33:20 Tanstaafl a écrit :
> On 11/12/2014 10:13 AM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> wrote:
> > Le mercredi, 12 novembre 2014, 09.11:40 Tanstaafl a écrit :
> >> Which is precisely *why* (people) should have been required to fix
> >> that bug (…)
> >
> > This is simply not how Debian works.
>
> If Debian works in such a way that the Tech Committee can *dictate* a
> major change to what is agreed upon by most as a critical piece of the
> operating system (in this case the init system) - especially one that
> has gone unchanged for as long as anyone can remember - then I submit
> to you that indeed they *can* require that as a part of such a
> change, certain minimal requirements be met.

The Tech Committee has exercised its power to decide in cases of
overlapping jurisdiction, because it was asked to do so by a fellow
Developer; they were asked to break a tie, which is vastly different
from 'dictating' a major change.

Them requiring certain minimal requirements would have been quite
unusual in Debian procedures, but would certainly have been possible.
The Tech Committee simply didn't decide to do so.

As I wrote already, you might disagree with their decision or the way it
was taken. So far, the decision hasn't been challenged by a GR; none has
been proposed or gathered enough seconds.

Can we move on to solving practical problems rather than exploring
theories? Thanks in advance,
OdyX