Re: WD Passport 2T hard drive formating question.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 04:31:53AM +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've purchased a new WD Passport 2T USB hard drive, which, no doubts,came
> formated NTFS. I've used GParted to quickly format the drive to Ext4 and
> results surprised me quite a bit (all results as reported by GParted):
>
> File system NTFS
> ----------------
> Total capacity		- 1.82   TiB
> Used by file system	- 122.66 MiB (?)

This will be space taken up by the MFT, the journal and other file
accounting structures.

> File system Ext4
> ----------------
> Total capacity		- 1.82   TiB
> Used by file system	- 29.42  GiB (?)

This will be the space taken up by the superblocks, presumably. This
isn't the "5% reserved" space, which for that drive would be about 93.18
GiB.

I think the problem is that ext4 makes copies of it's superblock every
so often throughout a drive. The bigger the drive, the more copies it
makes.

You could try formatting as XFS or BtrFS and see if the space used is
any better.