Re: How to enable larger mouse pointers under X

On 08 Nov 2014, Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 22:21:27 -1000
> Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I need larger mouse pointers.
> >
> > I'm running sid, using i3 and icewm as window managers.
> > AIUI cursor images are set through X, and do not belong
> > to the window manager.
> >
> > My first attempt was:
> >
> > % apt-get install big-cursor
> >
> > Restarting X brings no change. The docs suggest commenting
> > out "Xcursor.theme: whiteglass" in /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources,
> > however this didn't help.
>
> You've selected a correct package, but docs suggested you a wrong way to
> configure it (that recommendation applies to xdm only).
>
> Try adding 'Xcursor.theme: big-cursor' to your user's .Xresources file.
> Or, if you need systemwide change - to /etc/X11/Xresources/local.

I've always found that the big-cursor package works perfectly. I don't
have any desktop environment but have used it for both spectrwm and
icewm.

Incidentally, it can be used to get a large cursor on other systems too,
including ArchLinux and even OpenBSD. I've posted <a
href="http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php?/archives/672-A-large-mouse-pointer-for-ArchLinux.html";>details here</a>.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk