Re: Debian wheezy exim4 Refuses All External Mail.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:34:19 -0600
"Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net> wrote:

> Joe writes:
> > original state. Either way, check /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf,
> > which gets updated by dpkg-reconfigure. The file contains
> > instructions as to how to make changes.
> 	This has gotten me started on the right direction plus,
> of course, man update-exim4.conf.
> 	The important clause, here is
>
> .ifndef DC_eximconfig_configtype
> DC_eximconfig_configtype=internet
> .endif
>
> This is as opposed to local

Yes, I think that will be the important one.

> 	One other thing is mentioned in the man page that I must
> do. I run our domain name server and will create an MX record
> for the dead FreeBSD VM (RIP) so that mail that would have gone
> to it will go to the Debian box. When you do that, one must make
> the mailer on the target system aware that it is supposed to
> receive mail addressed to the system in the MX record.
> 	There is dc_other_hostnames for this purpose but it is
> not a configuration variable as such. If you run
> update-exim4.conf -oexim4.conf.conf, you don't see the syntax
> for how to enter this list since it wasn't there to begin with.
> 	All the variables are ifthen clauses. Do you just tack
> this list on at the bottom like
>        dc_other_hostnames deadmouse.okstate.edu
> or is it more structured?

You're in the wrong place.

First, exim4 can use either one large main configuration file, or it can
use many files for individual configuration options, and you were asked
to decide which in the original configuration questionnaire. In this
case, it doesn't matter which you chose. If you chose one file, it will
be exim4.conf.template, otherwise it's the files under conf.d. Either
way, that's where you find all the if/then clauses, which are used to
merge update-exim4.conf.conf variables into the main file(s).

The file you want is update-exim4.conf.conf, and I copied mine almost
verbatim. There are no if clauses there. Each line just begins "dc_xxx"
and ends with "='yyy'". Just edit between the quotation marks, save, and
run update-exim4.conf. Domain names go in the 'dc_other_hostnames' and
if there is more than one, they are separated by colons, with no spaces.
Check after the update that /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf still
looks right, similar to mine. Restart exim4 after that, I don't believe
that running update-exim4.conf does that.

The main configuration file, exim4.conf.template, or the individual
files, allow all possible configurations, but in an effort to keep the
local user adjustments out of these files, the dozen or so most
fundamental configurations can be made easily either by editing
update-exim4.conf.conf or answering the questions asked by
dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config. If you need to do more complicated
things, you do need to pick your way between ifdefs in the main
configuration file(s), but that isn't necessary just to get the basic
operation right.

--
Joe