Re: Debian wheezy exim4 Refuses All External Mail.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 06:31:21 -0600
"Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net> wrote:

> 	I am more used to sendmail under FreeBSD and I suddenly
> lost my FreeBSD system on which I receive mail from everywhere
> so I need to quickly make a wheezy system stop rejecting all
> incoming non-local messages.
> 	The exim4 installation on the system in question is the
> out-of-the-box installation that came on the wheezy installation
> CD and every indication is that it is working as it should right
> now.
> 	I want to make it receive all mail and deliver it
> locally to users on the system which is me. There is rc.local
> and bogofilter on the system for spam control and sorting of
> messages to appropriate folders, but right now, this system and
> another I have access to always reject any connection other than
> telnetting to port 25 on the local box.
> 	What is the simplest and safest change I need to make to
> open the systems up to external mail?
> 	If I can get this system receiving mail normally, the
> FreeBSD virtual system can wait but time is getting tight and I
> haven't found the magic command yet.
> 	Many thanks.

It should work Out Of The Box(TM). If you've made any changes to the
configuration, use dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config to return to the
original state. Either way, check /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf,
which gets updated by dpkg-reconfigure. The file contains instructions
as to how to make changes.

It should look quite like this, except for the mailbox option, which I
have previously altered to use IMAP:

# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
#
# Edit this file and /etc/mailname by hand and execute update-exim4.conf
# yourself or use 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'
#
# Please note that this is _not_ a dpkg-conffile and that automatic
changes # to this file might happen. The code handling this will honor
your local # changes, so this is usually fine, but will break local
schemes that mess # around with multiple versions of the file.
#
# update-exim4.conf uses this file to determine variable values to
generate # exim configuration macros for the configuration file.
#
# Most settings found in here do have corresponding questions in the
# Debconf configuration, but not all of them.
#
# This is a Debian specific file

dc_eximconfig_configtype='internet'
dc_other_hostnames='jretrading.com:jretrading.co.uk'
dc_local_interfaces=''
dc_readhost=''
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets='192.168.99.0/24'
dc_smarthost=''
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname=''
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'

'other_hostnames' should be the domains you collect for, separated by
colons. 'minimaldns' should be true if you don't have a local DNS
server, 'relay_nets' should be your local network, or nothing if you're
only going to read/send mail from the server itself. 'smarthost' will
be empty if you send mail directly, otherwise the SMTP server you use.
Most of this is for sending email anyway, not receiving.

If the answer is not here in the file, try the network stuff, netstat
etc. and try to telnet in from outside, see what message you get.

--
Joe