Re: Systemd and Unix

On 05/11/14 12:54 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 11/04/2014 08:06 PM, Gary Dale wrote:

I've got a problem with sysvinit on one machine running Wheezy..

Would you mind telling us what the problem is?

I already did a couple of days ago on this list. Got no responses so I filed a bug report.

The problem is the /etc/init.d/networking script never completes, which prevents a server from booting. All the subsequent scripts are waiting for this one to complete before proceeding.

The asynchronous nature of systemd would allow the boot to finish even when a script goes bad. In this particular case, it appears the problem comes after the network is actually in a working state, so I could possibly ssh in under systemd but I can't even ping the box under sysvinit.

More to the point, because systemd doesn't need init scripts, the problem may not even occur. After all, a bad systemd is more likely to be noticed than one init script that fails only in a particular circumstance. And configuration files are harder to mess up than lengthy scripts.