Re: Systemd and Unix

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:38:00PM -0400, David Kline wrote:
> I have heard a lot of talk about how systemd deviates from the unix
> philosophy. What is the unix philosophy, how does debian follow it,
> and why does systemd break it?

I suspect that people do not want yet another thread about systemd and
that's why nobody answered your questions. Assuming your questions are
real and genunine, this is what I can tell you:

There is not a single rule that may be considered "the unix philosophy".
Instead, there are several of them as you can check here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

People who dislike systemd often cite "Make each program do one thing well"
as the rule being "broken", as systemd does several things other than
booting the system that sysvinit didn't do.

As this is debian-user and not debian-philosophy, I suggest that you
keep reading about the subject and actually try systemd on jessie to
have your own opinion about it.