Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
Jerry Stuckle:
But just the fact there are  people who consider systemd to be
> problematic enough to consider forking Debian should not be ignored.

Denis Roio already has dyne:bolic.

* http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/run-scripts-and-service-units-side-by-side.html

You knew that "we are Veteran UNIX Admins" was actually Denis Roio, didn't you?

I could be wrong, but it strikes me that the strongest voices for a fork are coming from folks who run servers - as it is those of us who spend a lot of time on custom "plumbing" are the ones most effected by the shift to systemd.

Unfortunately, dyne:bolic is not designed for server side deployments. I'm not sure I can identify any distros that still focus primarily on server deployment (as differentiated from the BSD and illumos worlds - that primarily seem to focus on server-side deployments.)

Personally, my concern is that an awful lot of server-side stuff that I run on seems to be packaged FIRST for Debian. I'm a bit concerned about the impact of the shift toward systemd on the overall upstream ecosystem.

Miles Fidelman