Re: umask has no man page?

On 11/02/2014 at 10:12 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/02/2014 at 03:23 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

>>> Hmm. What do I get when I try to do a man umask?
>>>
>>> BASH_BUILTINS (1)
>>>
>>> I wonder why. I have a memory of doing something like installing
>>> a manpages package, but I'm not sure that was what did the trick,
>>> or it might have been mingw I did that on.
>>
>> Could you check with dlocate or similar to figure out where that
>> came from?
>
> Hmm. Oh. This is not going to be generally useful, at all.
>
> man /usr/share/man/ja/man1/builtins.1.gz
>
> brings the page up for me.

Ah. That's provided by manpages-ja, which I do not have installed.
(Translations are also in manpages-es-extra and manpages-zh, under
appropriate language-specific paths.)

I do get something from 'man builtins', but it's that same
bash-builtins(7) page as before. That's due to a symlink from the
alternatives system, presumably installed alongside bash-builtins.7.gz
itself.

> env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 man umask
>
> brings up the manual page from section 2, and
>
> env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 man 7 umask
>
> doesn't bring up anything here.

Similarly here, in both cases.

>> The closest man page I have to that is bash-builtins(7), which
>> comes with the bash package, but is not the same as
>> bash_builtins(1) - and does not have an umask(anything) symlink.
>
> Seems to be done, not by symlink, but in the man db.

What leads you to that conclusion?

AFAIK, if 'man xyz' brings up a man page from section 1, then there is
an xyz.1 or xyz.1.gz somewhere in the manual search paths (which I think
are defined in /etc/manpath.config).

Since 'man umask' brings up 'BASH_BUILTINS(1)' for you, there must be a
umask.1 or umask.1.gz somewhere, which presumably either is a copy of or
is a symlink to builtins.1.gz.

If that doesn't follow, then there must be something about manual
structure which I don't even know I don't understand.

--
   The Wanderer