Re: hosts based open ssh authentication

On 01/11/14 05:50 PM, Bhasker C V wrote:
Hi all

  I have a system in a cluster (experimental) and there are a lot of
debian machines which depend on this system and must be able to ssh into
this system

I wanted password-less authentication and looked on the internet.
Almost all the examples and help shown involves setting up
ssh_known_hosts which I am trying to avoid (cumbersome in a large
network where we dont know who will need access).

Anyone got this working just plain without adding known hosts ? I do not
want to add each and every host to ssh_known_host. Essentially I want to
have an open access to one of the servers via ssh.

I tried running sshd as root and adding

auth sufficient pam_rootok.so

to pam ssh and login
but that did not help.

Thanks

Bhasker C V

Trying hard to understand what you want but failing. It almost sounds like you want anyone to be able to connect ("don't know who will need access" "want to have open to one of the servers") from anywhere (I do want to add each and every host to ssh_known_host). Which begs the question why use any kind of security?

However, if you want to protect the network traffic, have you tried to use ssl/tls and close down the unencrypted access?