Re: Camera SD card mounting problems (defined by systemd)

On 10/31/2014 at 02:10 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> I have a line in my /etc/fstab file:
>
> #/dev/sde1/   /media/lumix-photos vfat users,rw,auto,iocharset=utf8,umask=000       0
>
> Anytime I want to add photos off the SD card in my camera, I comment
> out the hashmark add the SD card to the reader, and reboot the
> computer. The SD card is mounted (/dev/sde1/) inside the folder
> lumix-photos. I then use shotwell to add the new photos that can then
> be worked over in GIMP. This solution has worked flawlessly for
> years, until now:
>
> log: mount: special device /dev/sde1/ does not exist
>
> log: media-lumix\x2dphotos.mount has failed dependency has failed for
> local file system
>
> log: defined-by: systemd
>
> Since /dev/sde1 is listed and described from the fdisk -l command how
> can it 'not' exits?

I suspect that /dev/sde1 exists, but /dev/sde1/ (with the trailing
slash) does not - i.e., /dev/sde1 is a device node, not a directory.

Assuming that trailing slash really is there in the fstab, I would
honestly not expect that fstab entry to work, just on that basis. It's
possible that older mount methods figured it out and accepted things
anyway ("be permissive in what you accept and rigid in what you emit"),
but that systemd is being more rigid and is not trying to do any such
gymnastics.

Try dropping the trailing slash from the fstab and see whether that
fixes anything.

> What is meant by media-lumix(back slash!)x2dphotos.mount(?)

I imagine that \x2 or \x2d is an escape code for some special character,
which is not being represented directly here for some reason. I don't
recognize the syntax or the context offhand, however.

> Adding the SD card into the card reader after editing /etc/fstab then
> rebooting, causes the computer to go into emergency (? WTF) mode.
> Ctrl+d doesn't fix it. Going to the command prompt with the root
> password is the only solution. (i.e. editing the /etc/fstab file back
> like it was, removing the SD card, and rebooting.)
>
> I think it's ludicrous that adding an SD card that even has its own
> line in /etc/fstab, throws the whole system into 'emergency' mode.

As I understand matters, systemd's logic is that it can't tell which
fstab entries are required for a "successful" boot unless the ones which
aren't are all labeled with "noauto", so whenever a boot-time mount of a
fstab entry fails systemd assumes that something might have gone wrong
and drops into emergency mode so that you can fix the problem. I believe
this is a side effect of systemd's "dependency-based" design.

If the mount failing isn't that critical, then the "right way" to fix
the problem under systemd's apparent design would probably be to add the
"noauto" label to the fstab, so that the device will not mount
automatically on boot.

If there's a way to configure a mount to be attempted at boot time, but
not fail the boot if the device is not present, I don't know what it is.

--
   The Wanderer