Re: Keep using Debian without GNOME and SystemD

Στις 22-10-2014 17:41, Steve Litt έγραψε:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:01:17 +0300
"Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis" <d.ioannidis@nephelae.eu> wrote:

Hi,

  after spending two days trying unsuccesfuly to have a usable Jessie
with one of the defaults DE and with no systemd utilities, i decided
the following. In the companie's pc's i support, i'll continue with
Wheezy and if there is no a clear path to Jessie without a trace of
systemd until Wheezy's support lifetime then bye - bye Debian. I'm
even considering to try hard to convince those companies to
contribute to LTS for Wheezy to keep it alive and systemd free for as
long it's possible.

Sorry, but no systemd for me. Systemd as init ( and only that ) i
don't care.

Hi Dimitrios,

Before you cast aside Debian and move to [Gentoo | Funtoo | Slackware |
BSD] (and I'm not saying I won't do the exact same thing), but, before
you do that, humor me and try the non-systemd Jessie with Openbox plus
a panel if you want a panel. If you can't make that work, yeah, I see
your point. But it's just possible that a non-entangled window manager
might work well with a no-systemd Jessie. And if that happens, that
window manager can be made into an excellent and fast work environment,
and I can show you how.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Currently i'm trying to see in what shape the Debian/Hurd is. It's my first
choice to escape from systemd and still use Debian.

Will see.

Regards,
--
Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis