Re: Problem with external monitor

On 31/10/2014, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 10/30/2014 01:02 PM, Curt wrote:
>> On 2014-10-30, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have just realised the presence, and, extent of the presence, of the
>>> spelling/typographical errors in the last previous message that I
>>> posted about this; above, so am posting it again, hopefully with all
>>> of the errors corrected.
>>>

>> I'm afraid your grade can't be modified at this point however
>> grammatically laudable your continued efforts.
>>

> This -- made me smile.
>
> Curt at his succinct and pithy best.
>
> As for you, Bret. I'm going to try to find an extra monitor around here
> this weekend to see if I can find a) your problem, and b) a solution.
> I'll also have to do a little spelunking in the message archive to see
> if I have any chance of roughly duplicating your hardware setup.
>
> I've used multiple monitors in testing before with various graphics
> subsystems and don't remember any drama. I quit only because I'm
> probably better off not seeing one monitor well than not seeing two
> monitors well.
>
> Dangit, old age. For all I know there was *lots* of drama, and I just
> don't remember it!
>
> Jape

Hello.

I hope that the information below, is helpful.

The problem computer is an Acer v3 772 laptop computer, running Debian
7 .x and LXDE, now with bumblebee installed; the noveau version of
bumblebee, did not work, so I installed the nvidia version of
bumblebee, and that still did not work, and that system has an NVidia
GEForce GT750M graphics accelerator.

It does not detect the external monitor.

The external monitor runs okay with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, on the same
hardware, regarding which, from a previous message;

"
However, from Ubuntu 14.04.1.LTS, which I have now installed, and got
the external monitor working, and display output directed to only that
monitor, I have

"
bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen
Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06)

>From the Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS lshw output, I get

"
*-pci:0
             product: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI
Express x16 Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 06
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:40 ioport:4000(size=4096)
memory:d2000000-d2ffffff ioport:a0000000(size=536870912)
           *-display
                product: GK107M [GeForce GT 750M]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                resources: irq:51 memory:d2000000-d2ffffff
memory:a0000000-afffffff memory:b0000000-b1ffffff
ioport:4000(size=128) memory:b2000000-b207ffff
        *-display
             product: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 06
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:48 memory:d3000000-d33fffff
memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)
"

"

--
Bret Busby