Re: Jessie: Weekly or Beta?

softwatt:
> On 10/27/2014 07:53 PM, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>> I'd just try the most current daily build. I expect it to work
>> for most cases.
>
> On 10/27/2014 07:56 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> If you want to try it out, the latest named
>> beta release is probably the next best.
>
> Those are two conflicting opinions, and that's exactly my dilemma. Both
> claims have a reasonable rationale behind them, but which one is right
> in practice?

It's not really conflicting. It's just that your question is not well
defined. :)

If by "stability" you mean "which installer will most likely not crash
before it is finished" you should go with the latest beta. However, *I
expect* the daily to be just as well if not better in terms of the
number of know issues and it is probably overall closer to the final
version.

Either way: it doesn't really matter which one you try. Either it works
or it doesn't. By "works" I mean you get a bootable system with the
packages you want to have installed.

The quality of the resulting system does not depend on d-i very much but
on the quality of the packages that are currently in testing. This is
the same no matter which method installation method or which version of
d-i you used.

J.
--
In public I try to remain calm and to appear perceptive.
[Agree]   [Disagree]