Re: Check whether an update for a particular package is available without upgrading

> On a Wheezy system, I have used aptitude exclusively for
> updates/upgrades, etc.  Looking for a command line option to use with
> aptitude to check whether updates are available for a single arbitrary
> package, e.g. "debian-reference-en" for example.

> Have searched the WWW and man pages without finding anything like "dry
> run" or "show possible upgrades" specifically for aptitude.
> Previously I've seen recommendations to use aptitude or apt-get for
> updates/upgrades but not mix them due to creating inconsistencies in
> the package file listings, or something.  (Maybe this isn't an issue
> in 2014?)

> Again, want this for a single package, but suppose a list of all
> potential upgrades would be OK as long as it's a listing only and
> doesn't engage in an actual package upgrade.

> Thanks for any insight, explanation, methods, command line arguments,
>etc.
You did already get an answer, using the -s argument. As long you only
want the info for one package "apt-cache policy [packagename]" should
work too. I couldn't find the according aptitude argument.

I have heard too that mixing aptitude and apt-get is not recommended.
But a) i never had problems in doing it and b) i think those problems
don't exist anymore (or at least not as serious as they've been in the
past). Not that i would see much use in switching between both all the
time ...