Re: reInstalling my laptop

> Hi the list,

I will reinstall my laptop.

I have a question about partitioning.
I will use this setting:
/boot
swap
The rest under LVM (/, /var, /tmp, /home) ?

So, my question: /boot or not /boot ?

Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be>

P.S. I do not subscribe to the list; keep me in Cc:

Jean-Marc, I think that everybody misses your request to keep you in the CC. You might want to check the list archives for more replies.

If it's of any use of you, my setup in my laptop is this: I have set up everything in LVM, including /boot. That's how I have my machine configured. I have a LV for each of / and /home, a LV for bulk downloads which aren't hard to recover and another Debian installation as well in the same VG (the /). This setting allows me to back up home directories often with LVM snapshots while the rest isn't backed up as often. Bulk downloads aren't backed up at all. I don't have a separate partition for /boot in either Debian installation. GRUB is configured to use the /boot of my main installation. I forgot to create a different PV for /tmp so that my snapshots don't grow, which I'm just going to do. LVM snapshots are useful, but they're not substitute for backups in different media. You can use the former to create the later by creating a snapshot, then dumping it to an external HD or a remote server.

Regards.