Re: Check whether an update for a particular package is available without upgrading

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:59:28 -0600
Keith Christian <keith1christian@gmail.com> wrote:

> On a Wheezy system, I have used aptitude exclusively for
> updates/upgrades, etc.  Looking for a command line option to use with
> aptitude to check whether updates are available for a single arbitrary
> package, e.g. "debian-reference-en" for example.

~$ apt-get -s install yelp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
yelp is already the newest version.
yelp set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 609 not upgraded.

I think that's what you are looking for.

The -s option is "simulate".

Brian