EFI SecureBoot and Trusted Computing in Debian

This is the best I could come up with so far. I have found my lance and my rickety but pompous horse. Did anyone see where the windmills went?
(cc'd to -user)

---

What I call "the manifesto" [1] claims that UEFI SecureBoot is needed in a "post Snowden World." If Debian's "freedom of choice in init systems" resolution fails, what are the chances of getting enough volunteers to sustain multi-init support? The trap could spring. The exit door could close. The drones could finally march in lockstep.

If PID 1 is owned by a central Linux authority, is there any reason to think the rest of the manifesto's ambitions will not be achieved? The authors provide the hook: a "unified solution" for "operating systems that manage themselves, that can update safely without administrator involvement." No more worries about binary blobs or untrusted users, but trustees who play by the rules might be allowed in the Potemkin village to help spiffy things up.

I wonder if this is the logical conclusion of "push technology?" Show the man your compute license before boarding, but if you missed your last payment or tampered with anything, that's why you got the kill switch. Don't forget to safely recycle your disposable device.

I don't see anything in it for Debian, which has its own crypto-signed archives and distributed development, and I don't think the post Snowden lesson is to trust centralized authority and put all your eggs in one basket. But as a mere user, my opinion doesn't count for much. We can cry on each others shoulders in our private forums, but don't stand in the way of progress or ask who's behind it all. If you make it past the censors, you just might find yourself under house arrest. [2]

It's obvious that there is a compelling interest in trustworthy personal surveillance devices, but it's not about the user's interest, nor the user's trust. Where would I file the Debian bug to report that freedom has been deprecated?

-----

[1] http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

[2] http://www.newsweek.com/assange-google-not-what-it-seems-279447?piano_d=1