Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014, koanhead wrote:

> On 10/20/2014 04:00 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > After much vitriolic gnashing of teeth from those opposed to
> > systemd, I wonder...  What is a better alternative?  And it can't
> > be sysvinit.
> >
> > Yes.  Syvinit still works, but it is after all 20 years old. It's
> > been patched and bolted onto and jury-rigged to get it to do things
> > that weren't even around (or dreamt of) at its inception.  It's
> > long past due for a contemporary replacement.  Whatever that may be.
> >
> > So, what would you all propose?  For a server?  Or for a user
> > desktop? Or something that fulfills both scenarios?  And why?
>
> I propose OpenRC, having recently tried it. So far I'm liking how it
> works, and it solves most of the problems I had with sysvinit. It's
> not a replacement for PID1, and is supposed to be compatible with
> arbitrary PID1 programs (sysvinit, sytemd, runit, etc.) I expect to
> test it with other PID1 programs at some point, but for now I'm still
> learning it. There's also runit, which I haven't tried yet but about
> which I've heard good things; and daemontools, which has already been
> talked up on this list. All these are already in Debian's
> repositories.

I myself have been looking at runit for a just-for-fun try at replacing
systemd in Jessie running in a VM.  One of the reasons for considering
runit is it purports to be a "drop-in" replacement for sysvinit, either
in part or wholly.

I've heard of OpenRC, but haven't really researched it much.  I'll take
a more lengthy look at it.

Thanks for the reply.