Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On 10/20/2014 04:00 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> After much vitriolic gnashing of teeth from those opposed to systemd,
> I wonder...  What is a better alternative?  And it can't be sysvinit.
>
> Yes.  Syvinit still works, but it is after all 20 years old. It's been
> patched and bolted onto and jury-rigged to get it to do things that
> weren't even around (or dreamt of) at its inception.  It's long past
> due for a contemporary replacement.  Whatever that may be.
>
> So, what would you all propose?  For a server?  Or for a user desktop?
> Or something that fulfills both scenarios?  And why?

I propose OpenRC, having recently tried it. So far I'm liking how it
works, and it solves most of the problems I had with sysvinit. It's not
a replacement for PID1, and is supposed to be compatible with arbitrary
PID1 programs (sysvinit, sytemd, runit, etc.) I expect to test it with
other PID1 programs at some point, but for now I'm still learning it.
There's also runit, which I haven't tried yet but about which I've heard
good things; and daemontools, which has already been talked up on this
list. All these are already in Debian's repositories.