Re: just a thought (re. systemd nonsense)

tornow@riseup.net wrote:
Doug wrote:

On 10/21/2014 08:12 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
It occurs to me that the whole notion of packaging and distros may be
becoming less and less relevant.
Well if everybody is forced to use systemd you'll be right. All the
distros will _have_ to be the same. Maybe the packaging will remain
unique.

That:
http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html
makes it sound as if that is exactly what is wanted in the long run,
via systemd.

I'm actually thinking about other directions:
1. roll your own, continuously, from upstream source - using Devops and continuous integration tools (but that breaks quickly if everything depends on systemd) 2. unikernals like mirage, that run directly on top of hypervisors - incorporating only a bare minimum of o/s libraries, as needed by the specific application being used

Miles Fidelman