Re: Keep using Debian without GNOME and SystemD

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:30:06 PM UTC+5:30, Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis:
> >   after spending two days trying unsuccesfuly to have a usable Jessie
> >   with one of the defaults DE and with no systemd utilities, i decided
> >   the following. In the companie's pc's i support, i'll continue with
> >   Wheezy and if there is no a clear path to Jessie without a trace of
> >   systemd until Wheezy's support lifetime then bye - bye Debian.

> Good luck finding *any* distro with a current Gnome that does not depend
> on systemd.

> I really don't get why Debian receives so much hate in this discussion.
> Upstream software depending on systemd is not Debian's choice.

I guess because Debian spokespersons [whatever that may mean :-) ]
are not clear enough to say that the problem is more gnome than systemd.

All that debian has to say officially is (something like):

- If you want gnome you get systemd. Not ideal but currently cant be helped.
  [Alternatives to gnome are x,y,z...]
- If you dont take gnome then debian guarantees init-system-independence; to wit:
  Take any one of systemd, upstart, sysv, (or others?) and everything should work
  If not its a bug, please file a report and debian will try to close it.