Running awesome with Gnome - want gnome-panel too!

Hi

I have been using awesome as my window manager of choice for about a
year now - it's great, and has increased my productivity (or at least:
stopped the annoying routine of move-resize windows constantly).

But now I desire to use the gnome3 panel too - and the thing won't
start at login!?

I log into a (customised) gnome session, and have thus done

I have awesome configured in my gnome session and thus did this in the
past to set things up:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop False
gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager awesome

which works fine.

I also have (in gconf):
/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/panel set to "gnome-panel"

and yet there is no sign of the panel starting at login time.  Not
even complaints in ~/.xsession-errors ...

I also tried copying /usr/share/applications/gnome-panel.desktop to
~/.config/autostart - still no luck...

Other apps from ~/.config/autostart get started OK....

Annoyingly enough, if I run "gnome-panel" from within awesome, it
starts up OK and things look OK !?  But I want it to start automagically!!

Any ideas on how I can diagnose this and/or narrow it down?

FWIIW I'm running an up-to-date wheezy install - gnome-panel version
3.4.2.1-4 ...

Any help would be appreciated...
--
Karl E. Jorgensen