Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 13:04:26 +1100
Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> P.S. I have been told that one major distro does (or is attempting to
> do) just that - separate into a 'server' and a 'desktop' distribution.

What, like Windows? I think that really is the point that is being
made, that Windows has always made the distinction, with the server OS
being very expensive and requiring access licences for machines or
people making use of it. Microsoft server software, such as DNS and
the full web server is only available on the server OS, with a few
cut-down versions on workstations.

With Linux, it is (so far) only usage which determines the category,
e.g. with few exceptions, servers are continuously powered, don't
have monitors, many don't have X, etc. There is no software which is
*only* installable on a server, though there is some which isn't
really practical on an intermittently-powered machine.

--
Joe