Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On 10/21/2014 01:03 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Montag, 20. Oktober 2014, 19:49:43 schrieb Jimmy Johnson:
So, what would you all propose?  For a server?  Or for a user desktop?
Or something that fulfills both scenarios?  And why?

Just wondering.

See above and unless you are a tester or developer you may want to
roll-back to Squeeze.

Why Squeeze? Wheezy has sysvinit just fine… and so or so I expect Jessie to
work with sysvinit as well.

Squeeze has security support through the LTS initiative that only provides
this support for a reduced set of packages.

Hi Martin,

I have Squeeze installed on my laptop too and Squeeze works well for my needs which are audio and video when I'm not testing other systems..now Lenny was probably my favorite and was hard to let go. Using Squeeze is like stepping out of the current picture and getting a none bias look at current situation. I still have more than a few Wheezy installs, a couple Jessie installs, one Sid, a couple Tanglu installs and all configured, tested and updated and then I try to keep up with other current systems that are not following current trends. While looking at Sid I can see the future and the future is a bit too much for my needs. There are a bunch of upgraded applications out there for Squeeze and are already packaged to be installed and I think Squeeze is a good place to start if someone wanted to remove themselves from the current trend. I already know that people want upgrades because there are upgrades, but that's not me.

Martin this is 'debian-live-6.0.10-amd64-kde-desktop'.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze - KDE 4.4.5 - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263