Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

Steve Litt wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:12:17 +0200
Ludovic Meyer <ludo.v.meyer@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
* Upstart
no longer developped, and suffer from several bugs, go read the
tech-ctte debate.
I read it, and if Upstart problems were the most distressing thing in
that debate, I'd be a happy man. If Upstart is no longer under
development, the reason would be that the Debian CTTE decided on
systemd, so Cannonical reluctantly followed suit.

And this is where the Tech. Committee decision really hurt the Linux community as a whole.

Essentially, this came down to giving in to blackmail (if you want GNOME you have to take systemd) - and yes, I read all the email about the decision, but that's really what it comes down to (IMHO). And in doing so, basically led to a general decline in the overall Linux ecosystem.

Miles Fidelman