Re: LSB headers and other junk, how do you hack a quick init script in debian these days?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 08:41:19AM +0200, Michael Ole Olsen wrote:
> would be nice to be able to place a script in rc2.d folder again, even though
> it isn't a symlink
>
> it seems that 'feature' has been removed in the new debians

Not sure when it broke, probably quite a long time ago, but this worked by
accident rather than design.

> there used to be an /etc file one could edit to make boot scripts anyone
> remember which one?
>
> rc.local or such I think, but not sure anymore, debian has changed a bit
> lately it seems

Yes, /etc/rc.local if you are using sysvinit. If you have cron running you
can also use the '@reboot' target in a crontab, or in /etc/crontab.

> How do you hack a quick init script these days?:)

Put it in /etc/init.d and symlink it into the right runlevels. Or use the
Debian tools like update-rc.d to manage the symlinks for you. Or switch to a
different init system, if you are running jessie/testing or sid.