Re: If Not Systemd, then What?

On 10/20/2014 03:45 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
After much vitriolic gnashing of teeth from those opposed to systemd,
I wonder...  What is a better alternative?  And it can't be sysvinit.

One that doesn't divide the FOSS world. We have enough challenges without that.

Yes.  Syvinit still works, but it is after all 20 years old. It's been
patched and bolted onto and jury-rigged to get it to do things that
weren't even around (or dreamt of) at its inception.  It's long past
due for a contemporary replacement.  Whatever that may be.

Whichever one the user wants is the best. The users should decide, individually and collectively. The distro should be the testbed for new ideas, with users trying out and choosing solutions that work best for them. Debian should not make that choice for users. "Upstreams" should not make that choice for Debian.

This is official Debian Policy but some people seem upset about it.
I don't understand antipathy toward user choice, especially here. I sometimes wonder if they have lost sight of the purpose of FOSS, which would be sad, because they (especially volunteers) have given us so much in the name of software freedom. They have changed the world.

I hope this just a misunderstanding that gets cleared up after the dust settles and everyone starts talking again, instead of just yelling at each other. I hope some people change their minds about the importance of user choice. I hope Ian Jackson stops being bitter. :)

So, what would you all propose?  For a server?  Or for a user desktop?
Or something that fulfills both scenarios?  And why?

We all should be able to propose our ideal solution with a reasonable expectation that if it's a good idea, and somebody does the work, it could be adopted and help other people, without being unduly hindered by a software bundle laying exclusive claim to PID 1. That is the unique gate-keeper spot in all systems, and it's probably why the policy pays special attention to it. That button belongs to me, the user. Hands off my computer at its most vulnerable spot.

Just wondering.

Me too.