Re: user authentication for a secure laptop.

On 21/10/14 03:10, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>> Do you mean using fingerprints as local authentication??
>
> Authentication isn't necessary.  An example is the olpc
> system on the XO machines.  Power up and the X interface
> for user olpc is available.  Most cell phones are similar.
>
>> Do you mean passphrase authenticated remote logins?
>
> password =? passphrase.  If so, then yes.
>
>> It depends on your definition of "secure".
>
> I am the only person with access to the machine.  It is in my house or in my office.

Then secure was misleading, you simply want autologin.

> In lightdm this has no apparent effect.
> # /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
> autologin-user=username
> autologin-user-timeout=0
>
> Odd.  Has anyone made autologin work in lightdm?

Sort of - I simply ignored it.
Given that it's a single user machine - why use a dm at all?

nano /etc/inittab

find the line:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty xxx tty1

Where xxx is an irrelevant number
e.g. 115200

comment it out by putting a '#' in front of it, such as:
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 tty1

now add the line, beneath it:
1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f scott tty1 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1

I've also an autologin you might be able to use:-

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(void) {
  execlp( "login", "login", "-f", "scott", 0);
  return 0;
}

NOTE: I only use these approaches on single-user machines where LUKS is
deployed - so authentication is used, which is not your use case. I have
not faith in fingerprint "authentication" - though it's great for
selecting a user.

> There is also a package named nodm with this description.
> "... automatically start an X session at system boot ... for devices like
> smartphones, but can be used on a regular computer ..."
> After removing *dm and installing nodm, the system still presented a
> dialogue similar to lightdm.  Stock configuration doesn't give the stated
> effect.  Likely an adjustment is needed.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,                 ... Peter E.

HTH

Kind regards