Re: user authentication for a secure laptop.

> Do you mean using fingerprints as local authentication??

Authentication isn't necessary.  An example is the olpc
system on the XO machines.  Power up and the X interface
for user olpc is available.  Most cell phones are similar.

> Do you mean passphrase authenticated remote logins?

password =? passphrase.  If so, then yes.

> It depends on your definition of "secure".

I am the only person with access to the machine.  It is in my house or in my office.

In lightdm this has no apparent effect.
# /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
autologin-user=username
autologin-user-timeout=0

Odd.  Has anyone made autologin work in lightdm?

There is also a package named nodm with this description.
"... automatically start an X session at system boot ... for devices like
smartphones, but can be used on a regular computer ..."
After removing *dm and installing nodm, the system still presented a
dialogue similar to lightdm.  Stock configuration doesn't give the stated
effect.  Likely an adjustment is needed.

Thanks for any ideas,                 ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202  http://carnot.yi.org/  Bcc: peter at easthope. ca