Re: Remember when men were men and wrote their own init scripts? =)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:34:43 -0200
Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc@gmail.com> wrote:

> But please, guys, DO NOT LOSE "*DEBIAN COMPILATION*"!!
>
> I mean, when I read that infamous guy, Poettering, talking about
> things like this:
>

> http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html
>
> It creeps the hell outta me!

[snip]

> So, is systemd even trying to replace dpkg+apt too? Come guys... For
> real?!

[snip]

> Honestly, I don't fear systemd itself, or binary logs... I fear
> things like this:
>

> Linux Kernel Developers Fed Up With Ridiculous Bugs In Systemd:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY1MzA
>
> Linux systemd dev says open source is 'SICK', kernel community
> 'awful':
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/06/poettering_says_linux_kernel_community_is_hostil/

Thiago,

Sadly, you ask the exact right question. Do we want Debian (and Linux)
ruled by a megalomaniac who hates Linux, is determined to make it into
something un-Linux, and wants all distros to be the same (copies of his
employer's distro, no doubt).

Systemd's architecture, which I personally find unwise, is nevertheless
something that, from a technical standpoint, *could* be disentangled at
a later date if it turns out to be as problematic as I think it will be.

The real problem, which you put your finger square on, is that the
architecture is simply a tool of monopolization. And, in fact, the
megalomaniac is a proxy for his employer, Red Hat.

Anybody who reads Poetterings writings, listens to his interviews, and
doesn't come away with the idea that he wants to destroy what is
currently Linux, and make sure it can never regenerate itself, isn't
paying attention.

Red Hat already had OpenSuSE, Fedora, CentOS, Mand* and all its
descendants, and several others on its team already. Somehow, Arch and
Sabayon fell for it too. If they conquer Debian, then Ubuntu and all the
Debian and Ubuntu descendants fall, and Red Hat controls all of Linux.
From there it's a simple matter to weld more and more onto their
systemd (such as the packaging system), until regenerating the real
Linux is no longer practical. Once they have a monopoly, they'll show
much less regard for us than the CTTE ever did.

Right now, this minute, Debian has the last clear chance to avoid the
"Poettering Vision", which is really the Red Hat strategy for Linux
monopolization, which means destruction of the operating system we
currently use.

At this point, the technical issues are a minor thing. The big news is
how humans are going to use those technical issues to replace our
wonderful, almost POSIX OS with a Windows wannabe.

SteveT