Re: All roads to suspend/hibernate lead through systemd?

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:40:01 PM UTC+5:30, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> No, this is not a troll (seems like that is necessary to state up
> front).  I have been experimenting with dropping systemd from my laptop
> running Sid but find that even with xfce4-power-manager suspend nor
> hibernate are available any more unless I install the policykit-1
> package recommended by the upower package which depends on
> libpam-systemd which, even if I install systemd-shim, also installs the
> systemd package as a dependency, even though it won't run as PID 1.

Just a heads up.
xfce on jessie with systemd

A couple of weeks ago in trying to get round some dependency issues
I needed to install policykit that did:

libpolkit-agent-1-0 (0.105-6.1)
libpolkit-backend-1-0 (0.105-6.1)
policykit-1 (0.105-6.1)

After that direct poweroff from the xfce panel has stopped working
ie whether I choose logout or shutdown, it only logs out, ie closes startx and puts me back in console shell.

[Oh and BTW about 6 months or so back gdm stopped working and Ive switched
to startx
]