Re: how to shutdown in less than 8 minutes

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 22:44:41 +0200 (CEST)
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > are you all sure that the delay *does* happen during the shutdown of
> > Samba? If it turns out not to be Samba, you've just needlessly
> > chased your tail for hours or days.
>
>    I'm quite sure, because:
>    1/  there are a lot of bug reports against samba about this problem
>
>    2/ before removing the samba links, I had this message at shutdown
>       with a countdown of 5 minutes
>
>       A stop job is running for LSB: ensure samba daemons are started
> (nmbd and smbd) ( 3 min 2 s / 5 min )
>
>    3/ after removal of the samba links, the shutdown takes a few
> seconds ...

Bang, that's it, you proved it.

Obviously, your next step is to do the corrective maintenance suggested
for Samba. If that doesn't eliminate the symptom...

My next step would be, just as a diagnostic test, run smb and nmb from
a terminal, then shut them down again, and see if the problem occurs.
If so, ***TEMPORARILY*** replace your smb.conf with the simplest
possible smb.conf (maybe just printers) and see if the problem still
occurs. If so, ask for help on the Samba list. But if the simplest
possible smb.conf shuts down in a few seconds, then start adding stuff
back until you find the Samba service that takes all the time, and
examine that.

SteveT