Re: how to shutdown in less than 8 minutes

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:56:28 +0200 (CEST)
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> > The samba package does not properly clean up it's config files on
> > upgrades. See the RC bug that's filed against samba.
> >
> > Run "update-rc.d samba remove" to fix that.
> >
> > hi Michael,
>
>    I saw the thread concerning the bug report against samba, but only
>    saw a proposed fix about the LSB headers(which didn't work),
>    and not this one.
>    Actually, you need both:
>    update-rc.d  samba
>    and
>    update-rc.d  samba-ad-dc remove
>    Then, the shutdown lasts a few seconds
>
>    Thanks a lot for this valuable information.
>
>    Question: the daemons nmbd and smbd are still launched by systemd
> at boot. although all the links in /etc/rcxx have been removed. How
> is it done?

This behavior is apparently consistent with a known Samba defect, but
are you all sure that the delay *does* happen during the shutdown of
Samba? If it turns out not to be Samba, you've just needlessly chased
your tail for hours or days.

Personally, I'd find out where all the time is going before
troubleshooting Samba or any other package.

SteveT