Re: recent, stable (debian-based) desktop solution without blobs?

On 17/10/14 21:45, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 16.10.2014 11:05, Wim Bertels a écrit :
>> Hallo,
>>
>> which distro would u recommend given the following wishes:
>> - debian/debian based
>> - stable
>> - recent (ie debian stable being to old for the desktop in my opinion)
>> - no blobs (ie closed firmware for example) in the kernel or default
>> installation
>> - having the option to choose non free software

Distro... you can closely approximate most Debian "derivatives" by just
by selecting the desktop at install time. That can be done using the
intall-gui and selected the advanced(not sure if thats what it's
called?) options, or from the cli "expert desktop=" and choose the
desktop of your preference e.g.
for Kubuntu/Mint desktop=kde (theme to suit your taste)
etc. (there are a number of desktop choices available at the start of
the installation - or don't select desktop (or server) during the
installation, and after the reboot pick from a much larger range of
desktop environments (or make you own by choosing the components).

> Debian testing?

Which 'will' get you the latest software and hardware support, and
stability - depending on your definition of stability (frequent updates
- but very rarely will you see a critical crash)

Alternatively try Debian stable with backports enabled (can be a little
trickier to manage than testing if you are not careful about which
backports you apply)

1. enable the nonfree repository in /etc/apt/sources.list

2. enable the backports repository in /etc/apt/sources.list (or add an
entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d  e.g. backports.list
The required line for backports is:-

deb http://debian.asis.io/debian/ wheezy-backports main non-free contrib

NOTE: that is probably not the fastest local repository for your
location, feel free to change.

3. (optional) add the iceweasel repository to enable the current version
of iceweasel e.g.:-

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/iceweasel.list
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ wheezy-backports iceweasel-release

4. (optional) add the deb-multimedia repository e.g.:-

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/multimedia.list
# add the keys:- apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free

5. (recommended if doing 4.) pin the deb-multimedia repository to
prevent breaking vlc and other packages e.g.:-

cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/multimedia.pref
multimedia.pref
Package: *
Pin: origin *.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 200

Blobs? Your choice with Debian (and at least some derivatives) providing
*you* don't choose hardware that requires it. Debian does provide some
nonfree kernel blobs.

Kind regards