Re: how to shtdown in less than 8 minutes

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:07:42 +0200 (CEST)
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> oops! sorry for the error in the subject: obviously, I meant
> "shutdown" and not "boot"
> I think better to re-submit with the correct subject
>
> hi,
> it seems that tha last version of systemd in jessie (215-5+b1)
> has a big number of bugs, among which the very long time to shutdown,
> mainly for samba (5 minutes). Trying to kill samba manually before
> the shutdown did not solve the problem.
> I then tried to downgrade to version 208-8, which is available
> according the output of "apt-cache madison systemd"
> >
> systemd |   215-5+b1 | http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main
> i386 Packages
> systemd |      208-8 | http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main
> Sources systemd |      215-5 | http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/
> jessie/main Sources
>
> but I get:
>
> apt-get install systemd=208-8 Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
> E: Version '208-8' for 'systemd' was not found
>
> What is wrong?

Hi Pierre,

I can't begin to answer the question "what's wrong", but I have a
pretty good idea of what I'd do in your position.

I'd start moving as many as possible of my services to daemontools,
because daemontools exercises exquisite control and logging over its
services. It would even be pretty easy to write a shellscript to start
them in the order you desire. Because by default daemontools logs are
all sortably timestamped, it would be trivial to cat then datesort all
daemontools lots to see who's hogging the shutdown time.

This is more than a diagnostic test. Because daemontools is so good at
what it does, I'd just leave your services governed by daemontools,
even after you solve the problem.

HTH,

SteveT