Who is systemd-gpt-auto-generator, and why does s/he not like my partition table?

Hi, folks!

Sorry about the title. I'm just addicted to movie titles from the 60s.

(-:

I am seeing this during the boot sequence on a Debian testing installation. Sometimes it is actually left showing on TTY1 after the DM (lightdm in this case) comes up, and sometimes not.

From TTY1
systemd-gpt-auto-generator[152]: Failed to determine partition table type of /dev/sda: Input/output error

So, I checked dmesg:

From dmesg
...[ 4.853751] systemd-gpt-auto-generator[154]: Failed to determine partition table type of /dev/sda: Input/output error [ 4.854298] systemd[151]: /lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator failed with error code 1.
... and later on ...
[12650.204616] systemd-gpt-auto-generator[7555]: Failed to determine partition table type of /dev/sda: Input/output error

I looked in the BTS and couldn't even find a package named systemd-gpt-auto-generator, much less a bug that had been filed for it. I guess it's a routine or function name?

The drive came originally from Lenovo (T520i) with and MSDOS parititon table. I just used the standard partition scheme provided by the netinst d-i (testing), so there are only /dev/sda1 and the swap partition present. I used ext4 as the file system.

I'm also having the drive checked by smartmontools at boot time and have received no warnings. In addition, I run "fsck -Cfat ext4" on the drive at boot time every week with no untoward signs.

This has been happening for a couple of weeks, and I haven't seen any odd behaviors from the system. Nevertheless, I thought I ought to check to see if anyone thinks this is likely to indicate that I'm about to get bit in the butt.

It would also be nice to know why I'm seeing this only on this particular system and not on any of the other three systems with very similar Debian testing installations on them.

Thanks!

Jape