Re: debian-advocacy?

Chris Bannister wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 03:53:48AM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:31:19AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
Chris Bannister writes:
I thought there was a difference between a closed list (only
subscribers can post) and a moderated list (each post is scrutinised
for eligibility) --- or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
This list is evidently open and mechanically moderated.  Anyone can try
to post but some users and/or subjects may be silently dropped.
I was responding to "the list is not moderated; anyone can post"
statement. But I see where this is heading.

If someone posts a post and a moderator drops it, is it still posted?
I reckon it is. I think of post as sending the message off, not posting
it on the wall, just like posting a letter.
On second thoughts, this seems wrong. The analogy falls apart here,
otherwise "only subscribers can post" doesn't make sense.

I still maintain there is a huge difference between a closed list and a
moderated list, though.

Speaking as one who administers a list server (sympa), and follows the technology - at least at the server level there is a very clear distinction between: - membership: open, requires approval, closed, and various other combinations; - posting policy: fully open (anyone, from anywhere), subscribers only, subscribers un-moderated/non-subscribers moderated, all moderated, etc.
Each is typically separately configurable

As I read the debian-user list description, what I surmise is;
- open membership (anyone can join)
- unclear posting policy:
--- says it's open (anyone can post) - but haven't actually tested whether it really means subscribers-only (note, some Debian lists are actually fully open - for example debian-boot is both a list and the contact address for the installer team) --- says it's unmoderated, but, as some have pointed out, there seems to be some moderation going on - with no documentation or acknowledgement of what policies are applied

Miles Fidelman