Re: debian-advocacy?

On 10/14/2014 at 10:53 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:31:19AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>
>> Chris Bannister writes:
>>
>>> I thought there was a difference between a closed list (only
>>> subscribers can post) and a moderated list (each post is
>>> scrutinised for eligibility) --- or have I got the wrong end of
>>> the stick?
>>
>> This list is evidently open and mechanically moderated.  Anyone can
>> try to post but some users and/or subjects may be silently
>> dropped.
>
> I was responding to "the list is not moderated; anyone can post"
> statement. But I see where this is heading.
>
> If someone posts a post and a moderator drops it, is it still
> posted? I reckon it is. I think of post as sending the message off,
> not posting it on the wall, just like posting a letter.

Given that the "posting" terminology appears to date back to, and AIUI
derives from, the old dial-in BBSes - that is, "bulletin-board
systems"[1] - which predated Usenet, I rather suspect the "posting it on
the wall" interpretation is the original one.

Which doesn't say anything about whether it's the more common one
nowadays, but it's certainly the one I've been using.

[1] I typo'ed that as "bulletin-board systemd"...

--
   The Wanderer