Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

2014/10/14 4:35 "Jonathan Dowland" <jmtd@debian.org>:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:23:42PM -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > If that's true, why the avalanche of dissent now?
>
> I see a lot of posts, but hardly any posters, and not a great deal of clarity
> or consistency about what the complaints are. I also see a lot of FUD, both
> about systemd and what Debian has agreed to do. In other words I don't see an
> avalanche, nor the tip of an iceberg.

Step 1: Somebody raises a valid problem, but doesn't have a whitepaper and list of bugs that will happen.

Step 2: Somebody notices, very publicly, that there is no whitepaper, and that the person raising the issue is not clairvoyant. (We really want that list of bugs, of course.)

Step 3: Somebody notices that the complaint can be conflated with a non-issue, and implicitly advises everyone to do so.

Step 4: Somebody tries to point out that conflating problems with non-issues is not a good idea.

Step 5: A chorus of boos rises aganst the whole thread, because there is no whitepaper, and no clairvoyance, and besides, it looks "just like this non-issue".

Presto: All dissent is fud.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.